When in the hunt for luxury vintage designer accessories, you can easily get swept away by the excitement of finding a rare piece in pristine condition at a fraction of the cost of an original. Purchasing pre-owned luxury vintage could be risky business, as the investment is only as solid as the authenticity of the item itself. The market is rife with imposters, convincing “superfake” pieces that challenge experts with the addition of cannibalized authentic hardware and counterfeit documents of authenticity. When shopping for luxury vintage, the best advice is to buy from a trusted seller that offers true authentication and a guarantee.
Highly sought after pre-owned foundation pieces, such as designer handbags and watches remain excellent investments. However, buyers should use caution when shopping for prestigious brands, and realize that buying counterfeit means taking from artisan businesses and global revenue, as well as supporting the fashion industry’s black market that often includes child labor and other illegal or unethical practices.
Clues to identify watches as authentic:
- Brand identifiers, correct spelling, and placement of logo and other design hallmarks
- Engravings should be sharp and distinct
- Proper functioning of sub dials
- Weight, most reproductions weigh significantly less
- Smooth, sweeping movement of the second hand
- Freely moving links on metal bands
- Sound, quality brands are quiet, or silent
Considerations to identify handbags as original:
- Brand identifiers, correct stamped marks in hardware, and number of digits in authenticity codes, indicating decade of issue or country of origin
- Details, repeating patterns on flaps or pockets line up perfectly with consistent, even stitching
- Stitch count, high stitch count helps maintain shape
- Patina, honeyed look on handles created from oils from the hands
- Linings, should lay flat and cannot be easily separated from inside of bag
- Premium materials, quality leather and impeccable finish
Vetting a luxury vintage piece as genuine is a complex and thorough process. Braswell and Son’s sales associates are specially trained to examine and identify ALL features. Invest in authentic—trust in Braswell and Son for rare and original luxury vintage finds.